The Abraham Connection Questions & Answers :: View topic - Did Jesus teach about "Original Sin"?
The Abraham Connection Questions & Answers Forum Index

Register   FAQ   Search  Log in

Did Jesus teach about "Original Sin"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Abraham Connection Questions & Answers Forum Index -> What does Scripture teach about Sin?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mohammad

Post Post subject: Did Jesus teach about "Original Sin"? Reply with quote

The Abraham Connection: As Salamu Alaikum.

My teachers say that that Jesus (pbuh) did not teach about ?original sin?, but that Paul corrupted the teachings of Jesus. Note below the teachings of Jesus (pbuh) are consistent with the Quran.
    Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?" "Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments." Which ones?" the man inquired. Jesus replied, " 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother and 'love your neighbor as yourself.' Injeel, Matthew 19:16-19

Those who believe and work righteous deeds,- from them shall We blot out all evil (that may be) in them, and We shall reward them according to the best of their deeds. Quran 29:7

I recommend that you give up the the teachings of the Bible which is corrupted by man's word and turn to the Quran for guidance to the right path.

Sincerely,
Mohammad.
Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:42 am
mohammad View user's profile Send private message
omar
Site Admin

Post Post subject: Did Paul Corrupt the teachings of Jesus on Sin? Reply with quote

Wa Laikum As Salaam.

Thank you Mohammad for writing and asking your questions and sharing your understanding of what Jesus taught. I hope I can do justice to your comments and questions and respond to them fully. Specifically, I will address the following three points you bring up:
    Did Jesus teach about ?original sin?

Did Paul corrupt the teachings of Jesus?

Is not Jesus? teaching consistent with Quran?

Regarding your question of ?original sin?; do note the words ?original sin? is not in the scriptures. Neither Paul, nor Jesus, nor any of the Prophets of God use that phrase. It is from the study of God?s Word that we understand what the first or ?original? sin committed by Adam has as a result theconsequence for all mankind. God?s Word teaches that when Adam sinned, not only was he spiritually affected, but also all of mankind. Please refer to an earlier response here for a detailed explanation. As a result, we all have a nature to be sinful and do evil, regardless of our best intentions to do otherwise. Not that we are not guilty because of that nature, but we are incapable of avoiding sin and are not neutral by nature. Note what Jesus and the other great prophets teach about our nature to do evil.

See what God says through Prophet David in the scriptures about our nature to sin:
    The LORD looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God. All have turned aside, they have together become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one. Zabur, Psalms 14: 2

Surely I have been a sinner from birth, since the time my mother conceived me ....Zabur, Psalms 51:5

See what God says through Prophet Job about our nature and status in the scriptures:
    "How then can a man be righteous before God? How can one born of woman be pure? If even the moon is not bright and the stars are not pure in his eyes, how much less man, who is but a maggot-a son of man, who is only a worm!" Prophets, Job 25 :4-6
Finally, note what God says through Jesus in the scriptures about us being evil and a slave to sin.
    If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" Injeel, Luke 11:13

Now while he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many people saw the miraculous signs he was doing and believed in his name. But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all men. He did not need man's testimony about man, for he knew what was in a man. John 2:23-25

Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. John 8:34

So we see that Jesus? teaching from God is consistent with the teaching of the Prophets ? we are not neutral, but have a nature to sin. The teaching of Apostle Paul is consistent when scripture says
    Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned. Injeel, Romans 5:12
Hence the teaching of Apostle Paul is consistent with that of Jesus and the Prophets. Would you not agree now that you have seen what God has said in the scripture?

Regarding the question about ?corruption?, do you mean that somehow God?s word ?got corrupted? by Apostle Paul? This aspect is addressed at length in the article ?Is the Injeel less or more Trustworthy than the Quran??. From this article it is clear that God has proclaimed his word is protected, and it also clarifies that this is also stated in the Quran. God protects his word, there is none that can alter it. How can a mere man alter God Almighty's Word? Please review the article to understand the trust worthiness of the scriptures.

Let us now look at what is being taught in the Quran and the teachings of Jesus. According to the Quran, God will forgive (blot) out the evil when we do righteous deeds.
    Those who believe and work righteous deeds,- from them shall We blot out all evil (that may be) in them, and We shall reward them according to the best of their deeds. Quran 29:7

This theme is also discussed at other places in the Quran. Please refer to this section for more details. Focusing on the aspect of Jesus response regarding ?eternal life?, he responds with ?obey the commandments?. When one studies the scriptures God had given through Moses and the Prophets we find God had given many commands. Of those given to Moses, were the ten commandments. In addition, he gave Moses other commands that required the offering of sacrifices when even a single unintentional sin is committed. Let us analyze the scriptures by quoting the verse you have shared.

Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?" "Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments." Which ones?" the man inquired. Jesus replied, " 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother and 'love your neighbor as yourself.' Injeel, Matthew 19:16-19

Since the young ruler desire more clarifications, he asked ?which ones? Jesus further response and shares from the ten commandments and ends with summarizes by saying ?love your neighbor as yourself?
    "All these I have kept," the young man said. "What do I still lack?" Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth. Matthew 19:20-22
When one looks at the discussion, you find the questioner, leaves hopeless, as Jesus words show that the standard of God is ?perfection?
Also note this same expectation from the teachings of Jesus ?
    "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. Injeel, Matthew 5:48

No place does Jesus say that our righteous works blot out or remove our sin. We leave you to conclude from scripture about the teachings of Jesus regarding Sin ? is it not that God expects perfection? Does the Quran teach the same?

We thank you for the opportunity to share with you from God?s Word. We would encourage you also to search the scriptures and decide for yourself what God has truly spoken. As Jesus made it so clear:
    Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Injeel, Matthew 5:17-18
You will find other information and responses on ?sin? by doing a ?search? here. Please do write back and let us know how we may answer your other questions if it not already covered in Questions & Answers.

May the Peace and Grace of God be with you,
Omar
Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:03 am
omar View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Abraham Connection Questions & Answers Forum Index -> What does Scripture teach about Sin? All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: