The Abraham Connection Questions & Answers :: View topic - Some Christian Scholars doubt Jesus is God.
The Abraham Connection Questions & Answers Forum Index

Register   FAQ   Search  Log in

Some Christian Scholars doubt Jesus is God.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Abraham Connection Questions & Answers Forum Index -> Is Jesus merely a Messenger or Son of God?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarah

Post Post subject: Some Christian Scholars doubt Jesus is God. Reply with quote

I am confused about who Jesus is? In Church I heard that Jesus is the Son of God, but my Muslim friend says he is only human and not God. She even showed me an article that says some Christian Scholars agree with Muslims.

Can you help explain what the Bible teaches about Jesus?

Since I am planning on meeting with my Muslim friend again I would also like to know how I can respond to her so she too can understand.

Thank you.
Sarah.
Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:35 pm
sarah View user's profile Send private message
omar
Site Admin

Post Post subject: Resonse to - Some Christian Scholars doubt Jesus is God. Reply with quote

Greetings Sarah -

Thank you for your question. There are many different views of who Jesus truly is. His identity is one key area that differenciates Christianity from all other religions. Even during the time of Jesus, this was not clear to the people. Note this discussion in the Scriptures between Jesus and his disciples:
    When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?" They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets." "But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?" Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. Matthew 16:13-18

Note - Jesus makes the following claims:
1. He is the Son of God.
2. This is a spiritual truth that is revealed by God the Father.
3. Upon this identity of who he is, he will build the Church.

Yes there are some scholars that do not believe in Jesus being God, but there are many, many scholars that think otherwise. One of the wonderful teachings of Jesus is the command to love our enemies. So even when people disagree with us or our leader and say all kinds of untrue things about him, our job is to pray for them and bless them. This is not the same with other religons. For example in some religons if we publically disgree with their views, they consider this an insult and at times draw blood. As followers of Christ, we stand on Truth, and do not have to resort to intimidation.

Note what C.S. Lewis, a Cambridge & Oxford Scholar, who was an aetheist said, after years of struggling to find the truth. He has written a book "Mere Christianity" in which he states:
    I am trying to prevent anyone from saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him:
    ?I?m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don?t accept His claim to be God.? That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things that Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic or else He would be the devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to do so.

Do note that the "Son of God" is not a phyical relationship that Jesus has with God the Father. He is a "spiritual son". Another way the scripture identifies Jesus as he is the Word of God that has taken on human form. Another says Jesus is the visible Glory of God. Note how scripture teaches it:
    1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning..... 14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:1,2,14

Sadly many Muslims seem to misunderstand Jesus as physical son as it is so identified in the Quran that God is the Father, Mary is the Mother, and Jesus is the Son - a son from a physical/sexual relationship. God forbid, we do not believe such a thing. This is definitely not what the New Testament teaches. Sadly, this is what the Quran seems to imply. See some verses from the Quran:
    And behold! God will say: "O Jesus the son of Mary! Didst thou say unto men, worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of God'?" He will say: "Glory to Thee! never could I say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, thou wouldst indeed have known it. Thou knowest what is in my heart, Thou I know not what is in Thine. For Thou knowest in full all that is hidden. Surah 5:116

To Him is due the primal origin of the heavens and the earth: How can He have a son when He hath no consort? He created all things, and He hath full knowledge of all things. Surah 6:101

And Exalted is the Majesty of our Lord: He has taken neither a wife nor a son. Surah 72:3

Sadly, the Quran has an incorrect idea of who Jesus really is and what the Trinity is. See what Jesus says about the Trinity; Father, Son and Holy Spirit:
    17When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit . Matthew 28:17-19

May God bless you as you share the truth of the scriptures with your friend. Please write back if we can be of furhter assistance.

Peace,
Omar
Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:42 pm
omar View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Abraham Connection Questions & Answers Forum Index -> Is Jesus merely a Messenger or Son of God? All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: